NCDOT & Norfolk Southern Railway
Cabarrus & Mecklenburg Counties, NC
Planning and environmental studies were prepared for the NC Department of Transportation proposed double track improvements on the NC Railroad/Norfolk Southern Mainline from Concord to Charlotte. A 12.2 mile section of second main track was replaced, new crossovers were constructed, and select curves were realigned for improved passenger train speeds. This is the proposed route for the Southeast High Speed Rail Service and is the busiest rail line in North Carolina. The new double track section improves rail corridor capacity, resulting in improved passenger train schedule reliability and freight traffic flow.
• Preparing the Environmental Assessment document.
• Documenting the results of the socio-economic analysis in a Community Impact Assessment (CIA) Report
• Identifying indirect and cumulative effects and summarizing potential effects in a technical memorandum.
• Identification of known cultural resources.
• Identifying known hazardous materials sites and evaluating potential impacts.
• Public involvement activities include public informational workshops, newsletters, stakeholders meetings, a Public Hearing, and responding to citizen comments.
• Collaboration with other firms who performed engineering and environmental support for this study.